Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Baby It's Cold Inside


I learned in a conversation with friends that their apartments are freezing. Not "I should put a sweater on" cold. The "buy a space heater, leave the oven on and open for heat" kind of cold. NYC has experienced temps that dip below zero. I know that doesn't approach the life some people live November through March but we're feeling it. My nose is perpetually icy!

My poor friends. The injustice! I was relieved that they had voiced their concerns and outed their landlords to 3-1-1 and shuddered at the image of their little families huddled together under the covers...with fresh baked potatoes to give off heat. And, in a moment of selfishness, I thought, "Glad our place is warm."

Then last night it hit me as I debated whether or not to shower--would the water maintain a steady, warm temperature? Then as I set a record for changing into my pajamas, assuring myself I'd feel better soon. As I pulled on my second pair of socks and counted my layers (full thermal suit, long sleeved t-shirt, Jason's sweatshirt-hood up, sweatpants, ski socks, white sport socks). My apartment is NOT warm! I'm over compensating and (maybe?) delusional from the chill.

Come on spring! Come on! Unthaw my nose...please!

14 comments:

auntie libby said...

kate made gram a nose warmer for christmas. her nose is always cold and she has taken to holding it in her fist. but the nose warmer allows her to be hands free. would you like to borrow it?

Unknown said...

Being cold blows. Being all bundled up does not make for many opportunities for sexy-times either. Nothing good about winter at all.

Hope you warm up soon!!!!

Melissa said...

I'm sorry you're so cold! It's pretty darn cold here, too. What a gorgeous picture though (that fountain). Awesome!

naomi megan. said...

i hear you. we also keep our oven on and open for heat and have been bundling up by sharing a sleeping bag at night with 3 comforters over us. it's freeezing and we're ready for spring!

Oliver & Margy said...

You spoke too soon! It's now 1000 degrees. But I guarantee the shower still isn't consistent. I love this picture.

RETTJ16 said...

I am with you...come on spring...PLEASE!!!! I MISS YOU!!

Kysha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kysha said...

A wise woman named Ashley Connors gave me the advice to sleep with the hood of my hoodie up. It is lovely. But it sounds like you're doing all you can to stay warm.

Ashley said...

That is awful! I can't believe its that cold inside. Especially when we are basking in the warmth and the sun every day here. That wasn't nice of me to say huh?

Ashley C. said...

ha ha ha... kysha i forgot i told you that i do sometimes sleep with a hoodie- and the hood up and tied. erica- i do hope you warm up fast..it is warmer here if you want to move. i know a great realtor(sp?) and the market is truly a buyers market.

a wise woman named kysha hill once told me that they buy kids footed pajamas with a zipper to sleep in. i bet those would help. :)

Amber Henrie said...

What? Our building is actually cold? That means my bed must be freezing (right next to the window and with the air con still in it). Poor girl subletting my space. Seriously, not sad to be missing it. I prefer the milder winters in NYC. :) Miss you!

familia Bybaran said...

Amen! Today was a good day. Hope you got to enjoy it.

E.F.G. said...

maybe we should move out near you "wise women" to help trouble shoot as the problems come. like the hood recommend--may try that.

john said...

yeah...move out by the wise women.