Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Voice


There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you--just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

by Shel Silverstein

(this is my class poem of the week and i thought it was worth sharing. when i asked the kids what their "voice" tells them, the first response was "to not hit or bite people." that pretty much sums up year thus far! i may abandon reason and philosophy and go with what my mom finally resorted to when noelle would not stop biting--the old "bite her back" method.)

7 comments:

john said...

that shel silverstein had a good head on his shoulders.
and so do you.

Rebecca Smylie said...

And what, erica, is that voice telling you?

auntie libby said...

very nice. you know gram still pays $5 a poem if you memorize and recite it to her. :)

good way for a little extra money!

Ashley C. said...

i love shel silverstien. and what a good reminder. for me to listen to my voice and to allow others to listen to theirs...
okay so i like to micromanage my husband and children...

nikki said...

My sister in law had this poem up in their house over Christmas, and I loved it. Thanks for posting it on here.

Oliver & Margy said...

Shel is the best. Thanks for the reminder!

Kysha said...

Love that poem. If your kids in class first thought of not hitting, perhaps I should make my kids memorize it.