Thursday, February 05, 2009

Jason asked me tonight, with the no offense preface, why I don't eat healthy anymore? He went on to qualify, "Remember when we met? You didn't even eat after 8:00 and you exercised almost every day." I responded, "Is this about the hamburger I ordered for dinner?"

Yeah I remember those days. Back when I worked to have balance. I knew it wasn't about the burger. I looked around from my seat next to Jason on the love seat--the only couch we own. Dirty dishes still cluttering the sink. Scriptures untouched on the shelf. Laundry (returned folded from cleaner) still in its plastic bag. Hmmm...

The only solution I can come up with--get to being a house wife before I forget the little bits of domestic goodness that my mother subtly instilled in us. Subtly? Yes, silently modeling while maintaining that her daughters wait to marry until we graduated college, lived alone, and supported ourselves. Advice I'm glad I took. Work (with my calling a very close second) take up the majority of my time. Cleaning-forget it. Cooking--haha, when? I'm happy with bag of popcorn or a snickers bar for dinner. Exercise--maybe when its warm. Personal development? I'm lucky to keep up with personal hygiene. Life is not feeling very orderly.

Now I just need to find the connection between healthy eating and ending my career to be a childless housewife.

5 comments:

RETTJ16 said...

Laundry returned folded and in a plastic bag?! Don't tell Rett...or he will start requesting me to do his laundry that way!:)

Childless housewife sounds good to me!!

angelique said...

subtly instilled?! are you forgetting all those Saturday mornings spent house cleaning when we were drilled on the proper way to dust a lamp shade, the correct method for cleaning a toilet and the orthodoxy of ironing a shirt? picking priorities is hard and being a childless housewife might sound like a good idea, but you and Jason might also need your salary to have a house at all

familia Bybaran said...

I think a lot of that can also be blamed on marriage. Don't blame your job, blame Jason! Just kidding.

Emily Kate said...

When I was teaching school full time, my life was a WRECK. I never found the key to balance. Things are much better in at least the "balance" area now that I'm not teaching, but I miss it and need a job so it's not the perfect solution!

(emily stephenson from the harlem ward)

Oliver & Margy said...

Is than an ottamanelli's burger? totally worth it. And if it's grass-fed, it's still healthy, right?