Thursday, January 22, 2009

Welcome President Obama

School administration arranged for the lower school students to watch the inauguration live on Tuesday. They made it clear that "it wss a non-partisan decision made to allow our students to witness the unique historic moment when our country's leadership is laid for the first time on the shoulders of a person of color." Yes, he is a person of color but he is also a man of hope (which we all need) and a lefty. Tuesday was inspiring. Even the kindergartners "got it." As one wrote in his journal, "It is January 20th, 2009. I am woching the inunawgurasin at the Dalton School. Its a big dil. A welly big deal." I was taken with Aretha's snappy hat and of course, Barack's speech. (I'm also glad that, for good measure, he re-took the oath--just to be sure it's official.)


(I think I saw these word clouds at the MOMA once. You enter text at Wordle.net and the words that appear frequently are more prominent in the cloud--very cool. BTW, I didn't create this. As soon I dig up my source's source, I'll give credit.)

5 comments:

naomi megan. said...

that little journal entry is darling! oh my!

i also loved aretha's hat. she worked it!
and the stumble when taking the oath was beautiful too. it made me feel like obama is just like me.. or all of us. and it made me proud.

auntie libby said...

the first words that popped out to me...let the spirit work for the greater good of america.

thanks for the post - pretty dang cool!

Teri said...

They are selling replicas of her hat for only $189. You can wear it to the next family reunion.

Kysha said...

I was wondering how to describe her hat and your word "snappy" is perfect. So cute that it seems your kindgergarteners really 'got' the inaguration.

Amber Henrie said...

Her hat was PERFECT!!!! We were loving every minute of it watching it here live in Dubai (supposedly not much of anything from the States is broadcast live). Everyone I've talked to so far in the Middle East is happy about Obama.