Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Got a nice little Saturday planned....

As part of our resolution to enjoy ourselves and our summer in NYC, Jason and I hopped on rental bikes and decided to loop our little island. Like any adventure there were highs and lows. Here are some highlights and you can categorize pro/con for yourself.
  • If you pick up the bikes after 6:00, they don't start charging you until 10:00 the following day and then it's only $6 an hour. We picked the bikes up at 6:30, practiced carrying them up our stairs, and then went for ride around central park. We also rode to our friends house to make sure we were prepared for the big trip.
  • Saturday was gorgeous, incredible, amazing... I may over-use these adjectives but really and truly Saturday July 21st can only be described as such. Don't believe me? You can see it in the pictures.
  • Breakfast bagels at Nussbaum and Wu. Yum! A justified carb heavy indulgence in light of the hours we were about to spend pedaling.
  • We ventured up to Grant's Tomb and ate breakfast on Parc Guelle-esque benches decorated in colorful mosaic tiles, inspiring a Spain flash back. We also saw a group of 10 teenagers, from the "hood", practicing ballroom dancing. I'm pretty sure this is one of those "Only in NY" experiences.
  • The path along the Hudson has incredible views of Jersey, The George Washington bridge, the boat basin, etc.
  • Ready for how absurd this is...are you sitting down...I got a citation for failure to dismount my bike, or riding in a no biking zone, or something inane like that. Here's the scenario: Jason and I come upon a gate with a sign posted that reads, "please dismount and walk your bike." Law abiding folk that we are, we both swing off and walk a couple feet, when we look up and see another sign declaring a "shared pathway" with a picture of a walker and a biker. Assuming we cleared the dismount zone, we start on our way again, only to round the pier straight into Officer Cranky. Knowing a female with a point to make when I see one, I immediately apologize and explain the confusing signage. I am chowing down on humble pie, yet she still asks to see my ID. Not with me, I keep my moral ground and tell her my real information, thinking that there is no way I am really getting a ticket. I inquired about a warning policy for first offenses and am cut short by the reply, "It's up to my discretion". See those two people in the upper right of the picture? They're talking to Officer Quinones, who already verbally agreed with us and decided to report a need for clearer signs to his supervisor. And are we still getting a citation? YES....and now Officer Cranky informed me that despite the two vehicles violation, she is only going to give us one citation. Oh, ok, should I kiss your feet now? I wasn't about to go overboard with "thank yous" signaling my agreement that she just did me a humongous favor. So instead I asked her for the location of the court where I could plead not-guilty. Clearly annoyed, she snapped, "The easiest thing for you to do is just pay the ticket." I, maintaining unusual calm, told her that while I certainly appreciated the advice, this ticket was unjust and I needed to present my case to a judge. The reply before she sped off, "Fine I'll see you in court." I can't wait for this one. Dad, what are you doing August 7th? I could use some legal counsel...
  • We continue on passing a Norwegian cruise line and the Chelsea piers complex, to a pier across from the heart of Chelsea. Check out the blue poles in Jason's picture, a stroke of sheer genius... water nozzles at puppy height. Finally a relief station for furry friends. An appropriate place for New Yorkers to take their dogs. Upon review of the image, we noticed the fellow by the water nozzles packed an extra surprise for his morning in the park. Another only in NYC!
  • At Battery Park we enjoyed the blue skies, a perfect view of the Statue of Liberty and a very frozen Popsicle that stuck right to Jason's tongue.

  • Rounding the south east corner of Manhattan we had a scenic view of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.
  • Last time on a bike: borrowing Brent's beach cruiser in San Diego (2004) or the four afternoons Senior year when Thrasher and I tore up Salisbury (2003). It may have been awhile but in my heart I know that old adage "it's just like riding a bike" is true. Some things just come back to you. I was doing great and having a delightful time...and then, amidst the construction and ugliness of midtown east disaster struck. I can't recall the exact thought process or faulty decision. All I know is that I meant to lightly apply the brake and instead clamped down with full force. The bike skidded to a stop, the front shock dipped low, and before I knew up from down, I was approaching the pavement. Call it vanity but my first thought was "Don't land on your face". Forcing my neck back and my arm forward, I banged down on my elbow and skidded to a stop on my shoulder. OUCH! I look up to see Jason coming towards me. By then I'm already crying and he asks, "What happened?" This is a very masculine reaction. A woman comforts and takes care, while a man instinctively wants to dissect the incident. The only reply I can muster, "Just pick me up!" He got me upright and went right away to call a cab. "Wait" I called, "Nothing feels broken." Don't get me wrong, nothing felt good either, but I wanted to finish the last couple miles. My left arm joints hurt a lot, my left knee just a bit, and my right wrist medium. Off we went. What I did not realize was that your arms are quite involved in the riding process. I felt it over each bump and every time we had to start/stop. I made it home and we had ice cream for lunch (that always helps) and Jason took care of me. I took some time, deciding if my pain was normal "my body smacked pavement" pain or an "I injured myself" pain. Yesterday I finally realized medical attention would be helpful so I spent the majority of the day getting opinions and xrays. The final verdict, some obscure elbow fracture; but to quote the stock boy in the grocery store, upon sizing me up, "It could have been worse." Sir, you got it. For flipping over my handle bars it could have been a lot worse. And we still had a perfectly lovely Saturday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog rocks. I love it.

Sorry to hear about your little fall. Although I would have loved to see it!

That man is definitely packing a sock in that there speedo. That is unnaturally large. Yikes!

Oliver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oliver said...

The picture of the bike accident is sad...and really funny. Hope you feel better Erica.

familia Bybaran said...

I hope your elbow is better. I love the pictures. Wouldn't it be great if someone could have captured the fall? Or at least your expression? Priceless.

E.F.G. said...

When you know the ending, a lot of accidents are funny. It was worse for Jason who saw the whole thing. If it ever happens again (knock on wood), I am going to request the picture be taken before I am off the ground to really capture the moment:)

Marci + Dan said...

Erica, I totally crashed mountain biking a few days ago in Park City. My entire left side (including my face) is bruised and my elbow totally scratched up. Was it worth it? Yes.

Unknown said...

This post made me jealous to the point of telling Levi that this weekend, I think we need to rent bikes. It looks like a perfect day--so sorry you ate it though. Glad you're officially in the blogging world!