Thursday, July 19, 2007

Current Loves

Back in college, a WAAAAYYYYYY long time ago, I made a list of "Things to be Happy About". Still cherished as one of my favorite things, it inspired this brief list of things I'm loving right now and am definitely happy about.

1. Lists. Listing helps me feel organized. I want to list everything! Of course there’s the traditional “Things To Do” but I also enjoy listing of people I need to email, my daily/weekly schedules, items that we need, clothing to pack for trips, etc.
2. Our Lint Roller. Smooth, black plastic handle with sheets of tape rolled around each other. Mom (Gardner) gave it to us and it is one of my all time favorite gifts. I love using a layer and then peeling it off to reveal the next clean white sheet ready to pick up lint, dust bunnies, crumbs and hair. To be honest the major use for us is a hair catcher. I don’t really know if this happens to all girls, although my wise friend Rebecca suggested that I tell my husband it is definitely an “all girls do it" thing, but I lose a startling amount of hair…and it gets EVERYWHERE. Jason and I find it on the floors, in drawers, stuck to our skin, all over the bathroom, and even woven through our clothes, which will always be a mystery to me. It is quite irritating but nothing snags it quicker and easier than our wonderful lint roller.
3. Black Raspberry Ice Cream. Turkey Hill hit the nail on the head with this one. It is rich and creamy, yet still tastes light. 100% DELICIOUS! and I pretty much can't stop chowing down. It made a wonderful lunch, although I doubt my nutritionist would agree.


4. The Week Magazine. Jason has had a subscription for as long as we've been married and I just recently started reading it. Usually about 35 pages packed with "all you need to know about everything that matters"...summaries of the Best Columns in the U.S &Europe, the "World at a Glance", and even reviews of the arts. Quite dense, as you can imagine, and
it actually takes me an entire week to finish it.

5. Flower Arranging. This picture is of flowers I put togethe
r for a Sally and Tim's wedding. The truth is I had a LOT of help from my creative-genius mother. She knows all the tricks...like if you cut fresh roses under cold water they live longer. My inspiration! I started the day by dashing down to the flower district, which is just a street downtown that stocks wholesale flowers. If you pay with cash you get the whole sale rate. Can't beat that! There are hundreds of choices which makes it daunting for a novice like myself. I finally picked dahlias and roses and some decorative accessory flowers to kick it up a notch. Now I walk around constantly trying to decide which may look good together. Long-story-short, I had so much fun and am trying to find classes. Although a colleague recommended to try working in a flower shop for a summer. Hands on learning seems like a good way to go about it.

No comments: