Friday, July 20, 2007

Capital Adventures










Last weekend Jason and I took a shuttle flight to Washington D.C and met up with our friends Derrick, Karen and Scott. We left Friday evening and got back Sunday afternoon (the rest of the crew had a couple extra days). Don't let the length of our trip fool you, the expert planning (thank you Callisters) allowed us to be part of some stellar sight seeing. Friday night when we landed, took a super-easy two minute subway ride to our hotel and headed to the Cheesecake Factory straight away. CCF is not only a group favorite but a deep seeded tradition (going back much farther that my life with Jason but I'm gladly a part these days). Staying true to form Jason had Spicy Cashew Chicken and I had a Luau Salad. This fueled us up for a evening in the mall checking out the monuments. My favorite was definitely the new WWII Memorial. Check out the picture of a wall of stars, representing the 400,000 lost lives, reflecting into a pool below. After two hours of walking around Jason and I were pooped, but it was great to see everything (everything being the Washington Monument and the WWII, Vietnam, Korean War, and Lincoln Memorials).


Saturday was gorgeous and sunny, we got up and headed over to Arlington National Cemetery. I had been there in 8th grade but it was nice to go back without teenage attitude and a crush to follow around (John Curley...I was quite smitten). I didn't follow Jason around because I get to go home with him. This time I was able to take in the history, landscaping and significance of the place. All those monuments, graves, tombs for service men and women, astronauts, explorers, nurses, and politicians, many who gave their lives for what they believe in and our freedom...It was an emotional experience.

We then took a break to check out the Hope Diamond at the Smithsonian. The place was PACKED. Once through the general geology exhibit, I was about to skip the viewing line to see the precious stones and historical jewels (Marie Antoinette's earrings and a grapefruit sized emerald) to get to the Hope Diamond and on with our excursions. Luckily Derrcik encouraged Karen and I to check them out...INCREDIBLE. Crowns, necklaces, pins and even a ringdent (a ring so flipping enormous that they have to up the name by combining ring and pendant...the first I've ever seen). Then the Hope Diamond...

For the sake of the readers, I'm going to abbreviate the rest of the trip...
Holocaust Museum: A must see, highly recommended, well designed tribute to the Holocaust tragedy. Informative and heartbreaking.

Over to the Jefferson Memorial: My 3rd favorite memorial, after WWII and Lincoln. There's a picture of Jason and I, with a lake and the Washington Monument behind us.

White House...lawn. There was a much smaller crowd there than anywhere else we went, except maybe McDonald's for breakfast.

Cheesecake Factory round duex: This time we wised up and didn't stuff ourselves. We were fully functional after dinner...leaving plenty of room for Coldstone Ice Cream before bed.

The trip was awesome but one side note...I left NYC feeling a little smug. I am quite proud of my continued efforts to pack light and bring all the just in case stuff and outfit options I used to. I packed Jason and I in a medium sized Puma duffel. The bad news this time...I left our camera, so all of these pictures are courtesy of Karen who remains queen photographer. I think they're incredible! (thanks Karen)

No comments: