Monday, September 08, 2008

Queen Bees


Last year my mom had a bee infestation. She noticed bees mysteriously, and frequently, appearing in the house, both alive as they buzzed 'round the windows and dead all over the floors. It was curious to say the least. Worth mentioning is my mom's allergy to bee stings. So where she usually overlooks creepy crawly, and in this case flying, things, this matter needed to be taken care of. I believe the story, which I've heard many times (it was kind of a big deal) but usually am only 1/2 listening (sorry mom), goes like this...

A young exterminator came and determined the nest was in the ceiling above the master bathroom. Donning full protective bee wear, he cut a hole in the ceiling to begin spraying. After cutting the whole and investigating briefly, he excused himself and went outside to make a phone call. My cute and clever mother listened in and overheard the unfortunate fellow lamenting to his superior that he was in over his head and needed back-up. Whether they did or did not send this back-up, I am not sure. I do know that the spraying was done and over the days that followed my mothered vacuumed up 100s of bees everyday. They just kept dropping dead from the ceiling, making a thick carpet on the bathroom floor.

This experience was traumatic for my mother. It completely occupied her thoughts, life and conversations. To a friendly, "Thank you for joining us this evening," all my mother could manage in reply was "I'm just so glad my bees are gone."

Anyway in one of the clean-ups, mom found the Queen Bee--huge, intact, stinger on, big beautiful wings. A perfect specimen! And what did she do? Box it up and give it to her Kindergarten teacher daughter of course! Very thoughtful (that is not sarcasm, I mean it). This year in setting up my little science investigation area, I put out this Queen Bee. I met my new children today and as they explored their new classroom, many were captivated by it.

One little girl (I wish I could post pictures of them--think thick glasses, bright, spunky dress, pigtails, thoughtful, and curious) and I stood together admiring the bee. After her examination little Kennady whispers, "Wowwwwww, that is big." "I know," I say, adding with emphasis, "That is the Queen Bee." Kennady continues to look, slightly more interested now. Then turning to me, she asked with complete sincerity, "Well, where is her crown?"

After checking her face for a giggle or smirk, I realized she was completely serious. And that, my friends, is why I love my job.

12 comments:

Rebecca Smylie said...

So you're off to a good start. I thought about you all day. Hope it's an excellent year.

naomi megan. said...

I'm jealous. I too, love those moments.
Like, when R said the prayer during primary opening exercises sunday and prayed in all seriousness that "we would not fight and would not scratch today...."
i maybe need to work on not giggling or cracking up when these things happen. (which i only do out of total love for these children...)
slightly jealous you get to experience that sort of thing on a day to day basis.
best of luck with the kiddies this year.

RETTJ16 said...

Haahaa what a great and funny story!! Your poor mom! I bet you are the cutest teacher! Can i come sit in one day at work with you?? :)
ps still waiting on that peach pie

auntie libby said...

as one who has an enormous immature fear of bees (stemming back to a childhood attack of a billion bees) i sympathize with your mom. and a carpet of dead bees is just gross. however, i too would be fascinated by and anxious to view the large, plump and beatiful queen bee who lost her crown.

RETTJ16 said...

The decimation of bees seeking refuge in your mothers house is no laughing matter. in recent years the population of north american honey bees is on a dramatic decline. Where the bees are going? no one knows. Honey bees are essential in the reproduction of mostly all flowering plant life on earth including tomatoes. so next time you can't find any tomatoes to make a wonderful ragu blame your mothers hoover.

thank you that is all

Rett
(bee rights proponent)

Sunny said...

Bees don't really have knees either. Yep. No crowns. No knees. But they have five eyes which can see most colors except green. So flowers look grey to a bee. I know these things because I had an Esprit t-shirt when I was 14 that said so. Sounds like a fun year's ahead of you.

Ashley said...

Your poor mother. That would be like a horror movie to me! Glad you ended it with something adorable.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

What a perfect question?! Good luck with your school year and thanks for the cute story!

Ashley C. said...

when i was six or so- i found a huge dead fuzzy bumble bee that i kept as a pet in some little box. that was until my mom found it and told me i had to get rid of it. if only i had been in your class at the time. :)

Dr. LaRisse Skene said...

oh man that is such a cool story. how cute is that? he he he

Kysha said...

I once ate a bee off a sunday school room floor--I was one and a half. So fun for your class. Sounds like you have some cute kids this year.

familia Bybaran said...

Have you ever seen Brian fellows on SNL? This comment reminded me of that. "If that's a Queen bee, where her crown at?!!"

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4992814483685216/brian_fellow-snake/
Enjoy!