Thursday, October 04, 2007

Blogging Hiatus

Work is seriously cutting into my blog time. I was feeling good (not great, but a solid "good") about the frequency of our posting. Then school started and teaching Kindergarten took over my life. And no, I am not exaggerating. When I was doing science I could use the prep time between classes to get stuff done (run to the mailbox, research lessons/topics, enjoy lunch)...or send personal emails to maintain friendships. Those days are completely over. First of all, my day from 8:00-3:00 is devoted to 18 five-six year olds. Not only are there very few breaks, but this is not an age when kids can be working independently without teacher attention. I also work with a group of amazing teachers...which means no slacking:) And there's a bit of that corner-cutting, slacker-ism inside me. Long story short, I work long hours and let blogging fall by the wayside. But oh do I miss it.

So I'm taking tonight off from newsletters, cutting, and planning. I may even live on the wild side and wing my Christopher Columbus mini-lesson tomorrow to provide a weekend update. A little tribute to two people I really love....

The Connors came to visit! They weren't just coming to visit us...but I don't care because they did visit us. A dear friend of Ashley's was getting hitched and they were out for the celebration. Whatever the reason, we were thrilled to hang out...

After the reception, at the gorgeous Waverly castle (an estate in New Canaan CT) the four of us headed to John's new favorite diner...or maybe his favorite CT diner (corrections are welcome, John?) The previous night they had stopped there and John was impressed by the buffalo wings. I don't know if it was the call of the wings or the waitress that brought him back.

By the way, the food at the reception was delicious and we definitely weren't hungry:) The waitress was a hoot. I can use cheesy terms to describe her because she is one of the cheesiest people I have ever met. We order the wings, and she joked, "Wing, wing, who's there?" while using her hand as a phone. She laughed at the rediculousness of her own jokes and was completely lovable. As we were leaving, we asked her name...Jan. And then, like we werne't already thinking it, she says ,"Some people call me Tan Jan." GET OUT! You may notice we ordered wings, an oreo shake, diet cokes, french fries and sweet potato fries; obviously not concerned about our waist lines or our hearts.


Always open. We left feeling giggly and jumped up to do a girly pose thing. I think Ash looks hot. She may be practice in the mirror.


After a day of shopping, on the quest for great shoes, the crew headed to Little Italy for dinner. These days Mulberry St. = Little Italy, as there area is sort of being swallowed up by an expanding China Town (some old-world Italians are not thrilled about this). This is Wade, Kirsten, Ash, John, Me, Jason, Shannon, Dave, and their cute and sturdy little guy, Camden. is my favorite place down there...mostly because of the outside dining area and ambiance. But the food is good too.

We had our good-bye dinner at Buddakan and then while walking over to the subway, we passed a large excited party on the street. Seeing balloons, I asked what the party was for? One church goer exclaimed, "Not a party! Locked in church." Luckily my interpreter Jason stepped in and learned that forty women had a lock down in church for four days, and this was there celebration. We didn't think to ask what they were praying for but they did offer these flags. As Ashley took the picture, Jason was saying "I feel like a geek."

1 comment:

Ashley C. said...

man- we love you guys. thanks for such an awesome new york trip. we miss you already and are looking for ways to hang out again- either us there, or you here.. i guess. you guys are the best new york tour guides/hosts we know. thanks again!!! loves- ashley
ps-that pose stems straight from hs/college days where i had a thing for dressing up in funny clothes and then posing... wow that sounds sketchy after typing it but hopefully you know what i meant. ha ha.....