Monday, August 06, 2007

handbag happenings

picture it... 5:00 monday afternoon, and i'm sitting waiting to see if my doctor did in fact fax my referral to get physical therapy underway. i'm ready to bend my elbow again. an adorable young mom pushes a stroller in and begins talking to the receptionist. she's wearing a green and black summer dress, perfect bronze sandals, and has her dark hair is a loose braid. one of those perfect "i just threw this on" looks. i hear that she's british, which made her even more adorable.

she sits down a seat away from me and after several minute, with a cute english accent, asks, "is that this season?" i quickly glance around thinking, "what is she talking about?" and my eyes linger on my bag. ahhhhh.

it is imperative that i mention when she came strolling in i immediately noticed the bag draped over her stroller, a goyard. what seems to be this season's it bag. the basic style, a no lining/no pocket tote starts (i believe) around $800. they all have a similar "y" pattern on them and some nice colors. there is just something so opulent about paying that much for a flimsy tote.

what do i say? this friendly fashionista thinks my favorite bag is a real dolce and gabbana. i must admit i feel a quick flash of pride before deciding to tell the truth. "actually" i say, "i got this in china town at the beginning of summer, but usually chinatown does have the designers recent styles." she went on to say how fabulously real it looked...and after a few more pleasantries, she whisked off with her physical therapist, leaving me beaming at my bag.

an ironic side note...at dinner last night, jason broke one of the handles of this bag. i may be heading back to china town before the summer is out.

3 comments:

Marci + Dan said...

ha ha! i love it.

nikki said...

I love getting compliments on bags I buy off the street. There is something so satisfying about saying you spent $25 on something that looks like a designer bag.

E.F.G. said...

nikki! help! i can not find your blog. i thought you sent me the link somewhere. i have some down time and want to be musing:)