Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Moral Dilemma (or not)

I'm wrestling with my conscience over what may be a "non-issue".

Last week we sent our laundry out for a quick wash and fold before our trip. While putting it away and into our suitcases, I came across a cotton dress with the whites that I have never seen before. It's modest, simple, comfortable, my size...but not technically mine.

What should I do? What are my moral obligation? I called the cleaners to ask if anyone has called in for it. "Not yet"...so do I bring back the dress to sit and wait on a potential call? Or do I adopt it and care for it as my own?

What to do? What to do?

4 comments:

angelique said...

take it back to the cleaners and ask them to call you if no one claims it - if you keep it with you, the cleaners may not bother to track it down when the rightful ownder calls

nikki said...

Perhaps the person it belongs to has not yet noticed that it is missing which is why no one has called. I have to agree with Angelique. I would take it back and ask them to call you. Otherwise, I think you might end up feeling a little guilty everytime you wear it.

Unknown said...

I disagree. Take it an run. Finders, keepers!

Ok, just kidding. I 3rd what they said.

Unknown said...

I don't know you get these virtuous friends/family. Erica, it's yours. Fate sent it. It fits you? It's yours.