Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I've got friends......but they're not in low places

Now that my wife has had some time to "cool down" after this encounter.......

...we are ready to tell you about an incredible day. I will let the pictures do most of the talking. Yes. That is Johnny Damon signing a baseball for Erica. We figured we would let Bobby Abreu sign it too. We got Shelley Duncan (my favorite Yankee) to sign as well, but I wasn't quick enough to get a pic. Although Erica did try to kiss him on the cheek (wish I had a photo of that).
Two side notes from the wifey. 1. I've always prided myself on not being a groupie...or infatuated with hunky celebs. Standing a foot away from Johnny Damon and exchanging friendly pleasantries, sent that pride out the window. He's dreamy. (Check out the arm muscles...and that's just the forearm!!) 2. Shelly Duncan is also cute and very tall. For the record, I did not try to kiss on the cheek, although I am fairly confident that I could have gotten away with smooching a rookie. All that happened was I touched his arm. When I did this, Lisa D giggles, "Aren't you getting personal? Why don't you just give him a kiss." And I say, already with my arm around him for a picture, "I know my limits." Shelley was chuckling. I probably should have taken the opportunity when I had it.

A few days ago one of Erica's friends (and when I say friend, I mean one of her best friends since childhood) invited us to join her and some of her family to Yankee Stadium with on-field passes for batting practice. An incredible experience that we will always be grateful to Michelle and her family for. But hold on.... it gets even better. I did not know that part of this day would include a visit to Mr. George Steinbrenner's office.


I have a picture to prove it.

Don't tell him, but I sat at his desk.


Erica and I couldn't pass up the chance to sit in the leather glove in the office. Notice the Yankee curtains. There was also an impressive Yankee logo in the carpet. The door in the background leads directly to his luxury suite to watch the game.


This is Lonn A. Tros, COO for the Yankees. He came in to tell us about the new Yankee Stadium that is currently under construction. Afterwards Erica asked if she could take his picture. Just as she was about to snap the shot, she asks if he would put his hands up so that we can see the rings. Guess she wanted to get a good look at those monster World Series Rings. Everyone in the room had a good laugh at the request. Thanks to Mr. Tros for modeling his rings!

Growing up all I wanted to do was play professional baseball. I didn't exactly make it that far, but this day was about as close as you can get.

6 comments:

Marci + Dan said...

How fun! I'm not the biggest baseball fan...but that would be fun! Good memories for you two.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Gardner, that is the most ridiculously cool thing I have ever seen. Only you could pull something like this off.

Now take off the Yankees hat.

E.F.G. said...

speaking of yankee hats. i should confess that i was a complete poser. i went out that morning and bought a hat for the occasion. i had to look legit somehow.

nikki said...

That is awesome! I am not a baseball guru or a huge fan, but I think being in the stadium and seeing all of that stuff would be really cool. How fun!

familia Bybaran said...

Wow. Cool. This is awesome. Looks like you had a great time! I'm not a huge baseball fun, but that guy is CUTE!

Heidi Louise said...

Jason... long time no see! Congrats on having your life, long dream come true! How's life in N.Y.C.?

We missed you at the 10 year reunion... and I'm sure you cried yourself to sleep about missing it!

I hope life is treating you well!