Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Myth of Second Nature

Here I am. My first Mother's Day. In honor of the occasion, Jason made a delicious lunch--grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Then, while Stella napped, we watched Hot Fuzz. And he (and Stella) gave me a new water bottle and Shape-Up sneakers (because weeks ago I mentioned them, not because he thinks I need them).

In the six short weeks I've been a mother countless people have asked, "Isn't it second nature?" I have a few patented responses that I dish out depending on my mood that day. More accurately, depending on Stella's mood that day.
Sure. Some of it is second nature. For instance, thinking she's adorable and perhaps diaper changing (but I think that has more to do with years of babysitting than motherly instinct.) So as much as I love being a mother and Stella, I don't think much of it is second nature. At least for me. I'm putting the pieces together as we go, relying on advice from friends, winging it, asking the pediatrician, and when all else fails, going for a nice long walk. That stroller stalls many a melt down.
Our life right now is like a science project. Changing one variable at a time to see which has a positive outcome.

8 comments:

Emily Kate said...

I'm giggling because Jacob made me grilled cheese for Mother's Day too! We married some culinary geniuses, didn't we? :) But I agree. I don't think anything but motherly love is second nature. The rest just comes with practice.

Jordan and Candice said...

I think being a mom comes second nature to you. You are such a great little mom.

Ashley C. said...

you and stella are both lovely. glad you had a good first mothers day!

and oh, it is trial and error for us over here. lots of trial and error.

noelle regina said...

let me know how those shape ups work out.

Rebecca Smylie said...

Dang--I was hoping Jason was going to get you the S pendant.

And as far as your science project goes--here's the kicker: as soon as you get an answer, the subject changes. The actual variable? Stella.

Brad and Danielle said...

A-MEN! The love you feel for that little baby is quite second nature. Wanting to do everything you can to help your baby is absolutely second nature. KNOWING what to do and how to help... definitely, definitely not second nature. Do you read on Baby Center? That is a fantastic resource that has helped me (and still helps tremendously).

Stella is cute as ever. Can't wait to meet this cute little girl!

Brad and Danielle said...

Oh ya, and happy first Mother's Day!

Gardner's Compost said...

I always wondered why they call motherhood second nature. Surely mother love is our first nature. So I looked up "second nature" - it said...
"Acquired behavior that is practiced so long it seems innate".
Yep, it's an acquired behavior and the practicing never stops! So glad you are an amazing learner!
Our lucky Stella.