Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Our Perfect 10

She's here.  After being induced on Thursday night, our darling daughter arrived at 10:30 on Saturday morning.  We're completely smitten! 

Could I get another IV?  I thought this is what people looked like as they exited this world, not brought new life into it.  And, to continue with my leg whining, can you see where all the fluids they're dripping into me were accumulating?  Tree trunks!  It was during this phase that I swore I would never do this again....but then I met Stella.
The doctors were closely monitoring Bun's size throughout the pregnancy.  Diabetic mommas grow big babies.  The last growth scan, 3 weeks ago, estimated Bun to be 7 lb 4 oz.  In the last few weeks, at numerous appointments, my stomach was groped and the doctors knew she'd be a big baby, but said not over 9 lb 8 oz--the recommended cut off for a c-section.  What a blessing this miss information was!    If I knew what was coming, I'd have been terrified to push her out!  Our little lady weighed 10 lb 2 oz and is 23.4 inches long!  The nurses joked that she was ready for kindergarten.

I always want to know a new baby's name ASAP.  I mean, parents have 9+ months to decide!  We were going with the "we want to see her first" strategy.  We had a short list but we hadn't factored in the first/middle name combination...the deliberation began.  After almost two days, we finally settled on Stella Fortunata Gardner Jason and I both love the name Stella.  Fortunata ("who has good luck") is after my dear Uncle Dickie.  Confused?  His given name was Fortunato but he wanted a more "American" name so he changed it to Richard.  Not only do we feel lucky to have this precious little girl, but she has a had few medical concerns and we figured she may need some good luck (in addition to prayers and proper medical attention, of course).  

Sorry for unreturned calls, emails and texts.  I now know a whole different "tired"  and am spending most of my time figuring out how to feed our little meatball,

27 comments:

familia Bybaran said...

Oh my goodness! She is the perfect 10! She is perfect and gorgeous and so are you! And so amazing! Those IVs are intense and so is your look in that picture. I can only imagine what was going through your mind right then. Way to capture the craziness of child birth! I am so glad I got to share this experience with you.

Unknown said...

She's darling!!! Look at those cheeks! Congratulations again. Enjoy every minute...it goes so fast!

auntie libby said...

what incredible "luck" has entered your home. she is beautiful and so is her mother. big hugs to you all.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Congrats! Little Stella looks like she's going to be a Jazz fan. I can already tell.

Kysha said...

Congrats!!! Casey and I are here laughing at her darling cheeks. She's a keeper. Nice job, Erica. Amazing.

Marci Joy said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Tami said...

What a gorgeous gal!
And so lucky to have such great parents.
Can't wait to catch up and see her at AG.
Sending lots of love your way.

Yep. A whole new level of tired. I hear ya on that one BUT so worth it.

Emily Kate said...

She's beautiful!! I love her name. What a darling doll. I can so relate to what you're going through. Feel like I can't even function but that's ok. It's worth it. :)

Melissa said...

Erica, I am so proud of you! She is beautiful and perfect. I am so glad the pregnancy is over for you and hopefully your "tree trunks" will feel better soon. We are praying for you and your sweet little Stella. We love you all SO very much. Call me if you need anything at all.

noelle regina said...

i know she wasn't an itsy bitsy teeny weeny baby. but i don't love the nurses were calling her a kindergartner - esp if its the nurse you have pictured, who isn't a dainty little thing herself.

and i like to think we nicolais are over-achievers - the above average types. weight included.

maybe stella was aware that her 2 month old clothes were cuter than infant onesies?

anyway, i adore her.

Jordan and Candice said...

She is so adorable! I can't wait to meet her. When can I come over and help you?

lanni said...

congratulations! she is totally juicy - what a babe!

Sunny said...

What a sweet baby girl! I hope things are going well in the feeding department. That is not my favorite department. During the first few days anyway. We can't wait to meet her.

coriconnors said...

Erica-
You are AMAZING!!!!!
What a curse it is to be all the way out here in freezing cold Utah and not be able to snuggle hug this little squishy love!

scott and linds said...

she is beautiful!! I love the chunky babes! We'll be praying for you guys and hope everything is going well with her. And you of course. The name Stella fits her- how adorable! Congratulations!! I can't wait to meet her ;)

Ashley C. said...

She is adorable! And my goodness. You are wonder woman for birthing her!! :) Sure love you guys and hope that Stella is doing well. Big loves and hugs to you three. We wish we were closer!

angelique said...

She's sucking her thumb!! A sleeper and a thumb-sucker, she is clearly my niece

Jenny H said...

She is just perfect. What a gorgeous baby. I concur with the group...amazed that you gave birth to that sweet thing. Congratulations!

Gardner's Compost said...

Just for the record and another non-biased opinion, Stella IS a "perfect 10" and she is just the right size. Her warm little body fits perfectly right in our arms and she is so soft and cuddly that you just have to keep going back for more! Not to mention adorably sweet natured. I love that she loves to be cuddled - my arms and heart are missing her already.

Oliver & Margy said...

She's so beautiful! And congrats, Erica! Once again, I think you're incredible. Much love to you guys!

Melissa and Trevor said...

congrats! your are my hero! 10 pounds! She is beautiful.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

She is beautiful and perfect and I LOVE her name. And I thought my first child was a big one!! Great job super mom! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories. I totally understand figuring out how to feed them comment. I had a really hard time with Morgan but in the end I felt it was really worth it (plus lots cheaper:). Just take lots of deep breaths and keep reminding yourself that you are doing your best:) Lots of love to you all!

Britney said...

Beautiful baby. Beautiful name. Beautiful mama. Pardon the redundancy, but it's all true. Congratulations!

Rebecca Smylie said...

More pictures! More pictures! I check every ten minutes just inc ase.

junebug said...

She is beautiful. Your post is hilarious. That quilt in the bottom picture is gorgeous. I love her name! Gush! Gush! Gush!
Love to you, and congratulations.

naomi megan. said...

yes! she is perfect and we are thrilled for you both!!! hope to meet her soon! congratulations!!!

Amy and Tyson said...

10 pounds.....crazy!! She is so beautiful. I am so happy for you and Jason. One day when you have time I want to hear all about the pregnancy and delivery ( for future reference with Audrey)I love you and miss you!