Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stella's Stink Button

Stella's belly button started to reek.  The smell turned our stomachs.  We endured it for a few days and at our next appointment, asked the pediatrician if it was normal.  This is our first time dealing with an umbilical stump.  Dr. Larson overrode the hospital's instructions to leave it alone, showed us how to wipe it with alcohol and even prescribed an antibacterial ointment.  Ironically it fell off that very same night.  We're still cleaning out smelly bits but at least we don't gag when we pick her up!

  Does this look like the makings of an innie or an outie? 

8 comments:

Val Crosby said...

She is so cute!!! Reading all of your' posts is making me SO excited for my baby! I forget all of the fun new things you get to experience in the first few weeks of their lives! Can't wait to see you guys!!!

Unknown said...

Is it weird and gross that I still have Summer's stump somewhere? Hmm...

I had a patient once who asked the doctor if she could cut the cord in a way so her baby would have an innie. Really??? Doesn't work that way, honey!

We were all relieved to find Summer had an innie as well, though. :)

Ashley C. said...

Innie or outie... Doesn't matter. She is so stinkin cute! Glad you got rid of the smell. :)

The Castletons said...

Sorry but I am grossed out. The "umbilical stump" is the only thing that truly grosses me out about newborns. Not looking forward to this one day.

But despite all of that, Stella is too cute! :)

Melissa said...

I am in love with her thighs and her knees!

sterlingandbrandi said...

These are the first pictures I've seen- Stella is so cute! Welcome to a whole new world!

Melissa and Trevor said...

She is just so cute. I love girls and I may never get one! you 2 make beautiful girls.

Kysha said...

I do not believe it is possible for her to stink. She it too cute.