Monday, April 12, 2010

the fastest week of our lives

We can not believe Stella is one week old.  A week!  Already?  I keep thinking she'll be sitting up before we know it, and walking, and getting married.  

So far Stella is easy to calm and soothe.  She grunts a little while she sleeps, makes adorable faces and is difficult to rouse.  Dad burps her better than Mom does.  She is remarkably gassy--and I'm not referring to the burped end.  She clearly prefers her thumb but we are switching that to pacifier (I am quite optimistic).  

She loves bath time.  My mom gave her her first sponge bath and kept calling her, "spa girl."  She looked positively euphoric when having her hair washed.   Her hair seems to be getting lighter and will hold a faux hawk.  Needless to say, I'm delighted.
She is a champion napper, like her mother, and doesn't need the "right conditions" to sleep.  She even slept soundly when I left the windows open and the temperature dropped.   In the middle of the night, as I pulled the covers up to my chin,  I remembered leaving her in a little onesie.  Was there even a blanket?  I hopped out of bed and sure enough, her extremities were chilly but she just kept snoozing.  Don't all CPS just yet.  I'm figuring this out.

Stella met her new friend, Ramona.  They shared a due date and have parents that like each other a lot.  She was feeling a little self conscious about her size (Ramona entered the world a little over 6lbs.)  I assured her that she'll have the last laugh as a 5'11' model but am trying to stop calling her "meatball" nonetheless.  Complexes start early.

13 comments:

Rebecca Smylie said...

Yes! Ten pounds will sleep better than five pounds. And they say you can start sleep training at 12 pounds, so by next week the two of you will be sleeping through the night. Fortunata indeed.

The pic of Stella and Ramona is priceless. I can't believe they're already having playdates.

Melissa said...

What a cute post! She is a beautiful little girl and I love that you call her meatball! All of my kids creamed during their first several baths but just like Stella they loved their hair and were so peaceful for it. I love the faux- it's so cute. And I'm thrilled for you that she is a great sleeper! Amazing!

auntie libby said...

stella is just perfect. she just got an early start in size. others will catch up soon which i'm sure they will be doing all their lives. trying to catch up with stella. she will lead the pack in everything - looks, intelligence, humor, health etc. etc. etc.

i think the only reason people comment on her birth size is because we are all amazed at your incredible ability and endurance to deliver!

she'll end up being 5'5" 105 lbs and still be teased on her wedding day when her baby pictures are shown. i'm sure some will still affectionately call her "little meatball" and she will love it - because she will love the people who call her that! aka mom and dad!

can't wait to see you. big hugs and kisses to all.

Kysha said...

Thanks for posting all the pictures. She is just TOO precious and looking at all her cuteness (cheeks, legs, hair, etc)just made my day!

noelle regina said...

She looks JUST LIKE a Gardner in that first picture.

coriconnors said...

Atta girl, Stella! You are TOO CUTE!!!!

Ashley C. said...

I love the little meatball... he he. what a cute nickname. i say you have a full year of calling her that before a true complex can kick in.

she is dang cute, that little one. love her already! cant wait to see her this summer.... :)

Kelsey said...

Congratulations!!! How fun to see pictures of your new baby Stella! She is adorable. So happy for you guys.

nikki said...

I love it! She is so adorable. When can John and I come drool over how cute she is???

Gardner's Compost said...

I am witness to the fact that your meatballs are the best in the world.

Brad and Danielle said...

She, seriously, could not be any cuter! And I, too, love the meatball nickname.

Big babies are awesome! Connor had a hard time at first sleeping long because he was so hungry and he couldn't get enough from me. So we had to supplement him with formula, but from very young he's been sleeping long stretches at night. That will help a little with your new tiredness.

Can't wait to meet her in only a couple months!!! And I'm excited to see you too, of course. :)

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

Congratulations guys, haven't seen you in so long, but I am rejoicing right there with you!

familia Bybaran said...

These pictures are adorable. What I would do for a 10 pound baby. Seriously. Awesome pics. Let's do more playdates soon.