Friday, December 19, 2008

Glad we have a doctor in the family

Friday night Erica began to feel some discomfort in her stomach and we figured it must have been something she ate. Saturday morning she felt a little worse, but not enough to discourage us from braving the New York crowds for a little Christmas shopping. Saturday night it had gotten bad enough that I went to the ward Christmas party by myself....you may know, Erica does not like to miss a party! Sunday she felt no better than the day before and she decided to stay home from church. I left Sunday morning with Erica in the bed in a fetal position, clenching her stomach in pain. Throughout the day the pain did not get worse, but also did not get better. We started to get the hunch that it was not "just gas." Thanks to Erica's sister Angelique (the Dr.), Erica was convinced to go into the emergency room. We had plans for Erica to go see her Doctor on Monday, but Angelique insisted she go to the hospital then.

After a couple hours of ruling out things other than appendicitis, Erica was given a large bottle of nasty fluid for a CT scan of her abdomen to see if in fact her appendix was "thickened"

It is safe to assume that Erica was not a happy camper trying to put down the entire bottle of fluid.

This was Erica after the Dr. told her that in addition to drinking the fluid and recieving some intervensouly, additional fluid would be pumped into her abdomen through a "tube inserted rectally." She is not going to be happy that I am including this on the blog, but don't you think the reaction is classic? She tried reason and charm for an alternative, even including drinking more fluid........you can ask her how it all turned out?

The picture above tells it all. Appendix was infact "thickened" and the preparation for the appendectomy began. I couldn't resist posting this picture - isn't she just so adorable? I was surprised at how quickly it all came together. After the Dr. came and told us that the results indicated that it is likely appendicitis, within 90 minutes she was in surgery (her first!).














Literally as they are rolling Erica away to surgery I am standing in there in the prep room wondering where I am supposed to go. It was 3:30 am and the hospital was eerily empty. I asked the surgeon as she was leaving where I could wait. She sent me to the family waiting room. Can you see the picture above on the left. Family waiting room closed. I was tired, thirsty and hungry. Problem, vending machines were on the other side of the iron curtain. Being the problem solver that I am, I found other vending machines to quench my thirst. Concerned for Erica while in surgery, yes. Bored? Yes, as evidenced in the photos above.



On the Left: Erica post surgery, still not awake - but smiling.

Below: Erica in the GI Surgery unit with sister Angelique.




During all of this I couldn't help but think how lucky we are to be able to recieve medical care so readily. Despite the economic difficulties, Erica and I are both employed and insured. I think sometimes we take that for granted. Erica's doctors were great and we only had one grouchy nurse experience the entire time. Thanks to everyone that called, sent flowers and offered support to Erica. Although a fairly routine surgery, we are both grateful to have family and friends that care.

17 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad that she's ok! Erica, I hope you're recovering quickly. Let me know if you need anything (like molten chocolate cakes).

Unknown said...

Poor thing.

Only Erica can look fabulous in a hospital gown and still have a smile on her face post surgery!!

sterlingandbrandi said...

Oh I feel so bad I didn't know! Poor girl. I have had to drink those nasty fluids for CT scans before and it starts to seem worse than the pain. I'm glad Erica's done and recovering now though!

Stacy said...

I am glad that everything went well. If seems as if you were well taken care of.....can Angelique be a part of our family too? We would even settle for Jason....

See you guys soon.

Sunny said...

Despite how terrible you must have felt, Erica, you still looked great in that pretty blue hospital gown. Hope you're feeling well soon.

Marci + Dan said...

I had NO idea!! I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well.

Kysha said...

So glad that you are okay! Hope that you recover quickly. I love the documentation of the whole thing--what memories. And yes, Erica would be smiling and looking fabulous while wearing a hospital gown.

john said...

man, that sounds awful. I'm really happy to hear you're on the mend.
Good job staying entertained Jason.
and you're a cute sick person Erica.

P.S. neck and nog needs to be scheduled, when are you available?

E.F.G. said...

i'm relieved, at the very least, that jason didn't post my height and wieght. mostly all i see in the pics in terrible hair. next time i head to the ER, i'm doing my hair first.

i'm almost fully recovered...other than the top of my formerly cute, belly button looking like a frown. thanks for the concern.

Oliver & Margy said...

we love you erica! and we're glad jason posted these pictures. you are truly adorable. and watching the biggest loser wasn't the same without you. but (spoiler alert) horray for michelle! feel better and enjoy Christmas.

RETTJ16 said...

We are so glad you are ok Erica! Typical Jaques though...not knowing what the hell is going on until it is over! Sorry! Hope you feel better soon!! We love you!!

naomi megan. said...

oh my gosh! erica! i had no idea... glad things went well and hopefully you're recovery has been smooth.

feel better soon!

xo

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Sorry to hear your holidays didn't start out the way you had planned! Glad to hear you're doing better and we will send lots of good wishes and prayers your way! Thank goodness for insurance and many, many hospitals close by! You look lovely in all the pictures and have a wonderful husband who posted all your gory details!

Karena said...

O.K. I'm beginning to wonder if the appendicitis is a Gardner thing. We were in the Emergency room all night two weeks with Rich for the exact same reason. About two months ago Rob had his appendix out as well. I'm so glad that everything went so well, but I had to laugh a little about Jason's comments on the waiting rooms because I went through the same thing until some nurse felt bad for me (because I'm so obviously pregnant) and brought me some graham crackers. By the way, I'm not a blogger but snooped through Diana's links. It was fun to find you!!!

Joe and Julianne said...

Erica glad you are OK now and could come to Utah for Christmas! Glad Jason held up OK too. I still wish you were Joey's kindergarten teacher!!!

Melissa said...

I wish I could've been there to help out in some way :( I hope all is well now.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.