Saturday, April 05, 2008

Signs of Spring

WARNING: Mild use of explicit language

It's that time of year again--the world is experiencing rebirth. My Kindergarteners talked about signs of spring, after returning from break to buds on the tree out our window. One smirking that "allergies" are a sign on spring...quite clever for a 5 year old. We're all enjoying prolonged sunlight and greener grass. But aside from the sappy stuff, this morning I realized I have my own personal sign of spring.

An extremely close friend, someone I love more dearly than I can explain, was attending college in...actually, I'll withhold the state to protect her identity, when she decided to get ready for summer and take up jogging. Not an exercise fanatic or natural athlete, this was an impressive personal step. In the afternoons she donned her sneakers and headed out, part of her route through a less than desirable neighborhood. One day an old black Lincoln town car, with tinted windows and huge rust holes cruised up slowly behind her. She ignored the car, determined to keep up the pace, until the driver leaned out the window and loudly called, "Damn girl, that shit is wobbling!" And that dear readers, ended said friend's jogging routine and confirmed the activity wasn't for her.

Stay with me, this story ties directly into my sign of spring. Today I took my 1st jog of the spring, after a call from Jason on the golf course revealed that it was sunny and warn out. I entered the park and joined hundreds of other runners. That's when it hit me...my "stuff" was wobbling. And now, like in years gone by, the sun stays out for longer, birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and I feel inspired to start running again. But alas winter hibernation (despite periodic gym visits to validate my membership) has done my body no favors and my tail end is moving on its own accord. Looking forward to feeling firm again, my favorite sign of summer.

12 comments:

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Hmm...I think I know who the friend is, and I have to say, I like her quite a bit, too.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Too funny! You got to love neighborhoods where people feel the right and need to shout all their personal thoughts out for the whole world. Good luck with firmness.

Oliver & Margy said...

Winter is totally a time of hibernation - restocking the wobble so we can feel happy about losing something in the summer months. Call me next time you want to jog!

Marci + Dan said...

Shout-outs from the past two weeks as I've been jogging:
"Damn girl! You keep that body tight!"
and
"Run forest run."
Surprisingly, the latter caught me off guard.

sterlingandbrandi said...

I once worked out with a personal trainer who made me jog in front of a mirror and he'd set the pace. Let's just say it was not cool to see things you didn't know COULD jiggle movin at those faster paces.

RETTJ16 said...

Sounds like Rett yelling at me when i am on the tredmill! JK Man, i think i need to go work out! Thank goodness for the newly devoloped neighborhood!...the less to see this spring jiggle the better!!

Kysha said...

This post makes me laugh,--coming from someone who is called "bubble butt" by her family. But I can hardly believe that you have that much "stuff" to jiggle. You have a very cute butt--not that I've checked you out or anything.
Kysha

john said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john said...

i have grow rather portly this winter myself. But sometimes that helps with running. Ask jason how fast Coach Coats, our junior high football coach, was. He'll tell you, Coasts was lightning fast! It was like he had harnessed the power of the jiggle and made it work to his advantage.

sarahbellac said...

You are so funny! How are you guys?
PS - some of us have run for years despite 'wobbling'...if you have Connors genes you just get used to it! :)
Hugs,
Sarah
www.mommabella.blogspot.com

coriconnors said...

I am going to write a best seller book called "In Defense of Wobble."

Rebecca Smylie said...

a difference between the two of us: you say you like summer because you're more firm. I like winter because you can't see the non-firm under my sweaters.