Sunday, April 27, 2008

Don't doubt me!

Today I arrived in Mexico City for a business trip (my first of the international variety). With a rain starting up my plan to go find a nice local restaurant was foiled. I opted instead for the next door W hotel. It was around 7:00pm when I was certain that I felt the whole building begin to sway. Nothing too bad, but with my experiences in the past in Guatemala I was sure that it was an earthquake. I quickly asked my server if there had been an earthquake and he looked at me wierd and told me it was just the draft I was feeling from a nearby open door. What? Are you serious? I was confident that I felt the ground shake and the building sway.

Once back in my room at the JW Marriott I went to cnn.com and found this.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/04/27/mexico.earthquake/index.html

Draft from an open door? That guy was crazy.

This brings my earthquake encounter to 5. This one was among the most mild, still a rush every time.

10 comments:

E.F.G. said...

very cool jason but still, not my favorite news! glad it was a small one.

Gardner's Compost said...

And what floor might you be staying on?

john said...

way to step up the post count jason! Glad you are safe.
I've never been in a earthquake myself, but I have had the strawberry cheesequake blizzard at Dairy Queen and it was only so so.

Unknown said...

International business trips, W Hotel, JW Marriott, earthquake victim... Jason--you're very adult.

Marci + Dan said...

I don't think I've ever honestly felt an earthquake. Glad to hear the constant nyc subway shaking hasn't altered your natural disaster detection.

Kysha said...

The exciting life of Jason Gardner!

Tyler and Stacy: said...

My only experiences with earthquakes was living in northern California when the bay bridge fell. That was scary. I was riding my bike and the road was rolling in waves. Then my mom screamed, "get under a door way!" Good times!

RETTJ16 said...

Um, maybe you shouldn't come back to Utah!! Sorry Jason!:) Jk, Earthquake or not you are still a Rett-ard--so you are always welcome here!

Ashley C. said...

glad you are safe.. and so awesome in your detection of earthquakes. :)

lanni said...

jason jason jason - what a baby you are. so the earth moved a little? so it's a little drafty? for someone who's trotting the globe on the company dime, you sure do complain a lot.