Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Sighting


Lots of our friends ask about famous people sightings. Many people who have lived in NYC for awhile, or live in a "hot-spot" area, have a sightings list. From the pages of USWeekly, it looks like celebs are always on the NYC streets (or in the stores). But I have close to NONE. Actually Tony Bennett downtown and Cynthia Nixon in an UES diner are the only two that come to mind. I have seen a couple familiar faces that I can't find the name for. My hinderances are that I'm a. usually in a rush, b. not looking, or c. my mind is somewhere else. If I slowed down to register faces things may be different.

Last night, after make a jeans exchange at the J.Crew at Columbus circle I hopped on the escalator heading down to the exit. ((Sidenote: I was trading in regular lengths for a short...how am I possibly a short? I'm 5'6" for heavens sake. What do the 5'3" people wear? Guess I should be grateful that I can get jeans there to wear with flats or with heels. Anyway, back to the story) . I was fishing through my bag to get the receipt ready for my next return. Near the bottom, a person waving from the up escalator caught my attention. It wasn't an obnoxious wave but more of a slight, with a moment of hesitation wave. A quick look at the person and I realize, I don't know him...he must be waving to someone else. I glance behind me to see if anyone is recognizing this guy. And who is riding a few stairs up...Larry King. This is man easy to recognize. Not only does he look quite unique, he was leaning on the handrail the same way he leans on his desk, as if it's supporting his whole self and thought processes. Since there were very few people around, I say ,"He acts like he knows you?"...to which Mr. King replies, "Probably thinks he does."

Isn't it funny how we feel like we know the people we see on T.V all the time??

I'm glad someone else had enough wits about them to wave, drawing my attention to my escalator neighbor. Otherwise I'm quite sure my head would have stayed in my bag until I stepped off...missing the opportunity to add Larry King to my super exciting celebritiy spotting list.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I once heard an interview with Jennifer Anniston where she talked about how people were so much more willing to approach her than brad since she spent so much time in their living rooms. Makes sense. We sat behind the King in Church one Sunday. Too bad he was clearly bored and kept on looking for excuses to take his boys out. Can't say that we blamed him...

Marci + Dan said...

I love not only that you saw him, but had a casual little conversation!

familia Bybaran said...

Ooh. That's a good one. We used to see tons of people when we lived downtown, but not so much anymore. I say we, but I mean, Jared. I could walk right by Matt Damon (my favorite) and not even know. Jared can always spot actors. I saw Cynthia nixon too at a jewelry store in Soho. She did not look that good. Oddly, it made me feel better.