Thursday, November 08, 2007

All In A Day's Work

Two great things happened at work today. I'm going to recount the events in no particular order.

1. At 7:00 I arrived at school with 2 Swiss Miss packets and a plastic yankee cup, the kind you get at the game if you buy a large soda (tangent: of course my husband actually keeps these cups and this morning it came in handy). I've been under the weather and my throat soar, so all I wanted for breakfast was a huge cup of hot chocolate. But on the bus I remembered that last night at school Jason and I drank the last of the water with our Chinese food. Shoot! We were the last ones out at 10, and I knew I'd be one of the first ones in....which meant the water bottle would be empty.

What do to? Wait for someone else to change the water bottle later in the morning and possibly not have hot chocolate? Not even a remote possibility. Those who know me, understand that once something is in my head (ideas, cravings, preferences, etc) it is tough to change. So I made a decision to change the water bottle. Just recently I helped someone change the water cooler bottle...and they are big! Like maybe 5 gallons....10? But I learned for the first time in my life, that it's okay for a little to spill out when you turn it upside down because there is a collection place inside. I know, I know...how did I not already know this? Now I knew the main issue would be the weight of the bottle, not the spillage.

But... I did it. I lifted that bottle up, flipped it onto the top of the cooler, and made myself some hot chocolate. The best part: one of our wonderful maintance guys came in right as I was standing back, empty cooler bottle in hand, looking at the cooler with pride. And yes, I'm still proud. And yes, the hot chocolate was amazing.

2. I met Jerry Seinfeld. He was on a school tour today. I think he was wearing a black pea coat and jeans. I do have to say he's better looking in person than on T.V or in pictures.

What a day?

7 comments:

J.R.G. said...

There is nothing wrong with keeping a free cup. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Actually, my goal is to get one from every stadium, yep. That will be awesome.

Oliver & Margy said...

I sit right next to the water cooler and there are a few guys in the office who always complain they have to do it every time. I feel bad, but I still have never changed it! And I drink a lot of water. Maybe today will be a turning point... Thanks for the inspiration, Erica. The guys in my office will be grateful (until I make a huge mess and I make them clean it up)...

familia Bybaran said...

that's great about the water bottle and Jerry Seinfeld. Cool. Those things scare me. We have one at my parent's house and it makes my little brother feel like such a grown-up when we ask him to change it for us, but we ask him because I get very scared of them myself.

Oliver said...

Jerry Seinfeld at Dalton. I have a feeling he was probably promoting his new movie Bee Movie. If you haven't noticed he has been shameless plugging it at every opportunity. Dalton seems like just another helpless victim of the Seinfeld campaign.

Nate said...

I fully agree with you on the free cups, Jason. We currently have 4 Coke cups and one giant Maverick cup in our cabinet. I guess that is more ghetto that a baseball cup, but the principle is the same.
Very cool on meeting Seinfeld, Erica. I hope you had the presence of mind to say "Helllooooo!!" or ask him about peeing in the mall parking lot. If not, that's a missed opportunity.

Unknown said...

Tony bennet, Cynthia Nixon, Larry King and oh yeah, Jerry Seinfield. It makes me laugh that a Larry King sighting got a full post and Jerry Seinfield got an addendum on a post that was really about changing the water cooler. Which makes me feel like I'm on team Oliver in feeling that come on Jerry Seinfeild, we all liked you so much when you left the mainstage ten years ago. Why this obnoxious promotion? I bet that before Bee Movie, the Jason and Erica blog may have given a run-in with Seinfield more attention than they gave new duvet cover. But not now. Speaking of shameless self-promotion...that duvet cover...

Gardner's Compost said...

Erica,
About the cup thing....he gets it from his dad.