Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Crafty

I try.  Sometimes I really want to be.  But crafty falls into the category of "Things I Am Not." 
Here were some recent project ideas...
 Make an imitation of this lovely Pottery Barn advent calendar.  Then I looked closer.  Each pocket is perfectly detailed--a ballerina, a scarfed cat.  The original is over 5 feet tall.  If I spent every spare moment on it, I could probably finish it by March.  Who was I kidding? 

Wrap a foam wreath in yarn.  Check.  Make a handful of gorgeous felt flowers.  It surely would take a few tries and a tutorial from my mother, but I figured I could manage.  I was going to place my flowers off to the side a little and leave the branch out.  As I searched around NYC for high quality felt, felted wool actually, I started calculating my materials cost.  And then, as I added in my time and travels, I realized it would make more sense to fork over the $40 to her and have this wreath arrive on my doorstep, hassle free. 

This year we don't have a wreath or a huge evergreen tree advent calendar, but I did string up some white Christmas lights, decorate our little (faux) tree, and have holiday play lists going round the clock.  It feels festive.  And now I'm off to see if I can transform what turned out to be cheap tissue paper into red and white Martha Stewart pompoms.  Wish me luck. 

4 comments:

Aurelia said...

I love the Christmas Calendar!! Nice work!

sterlingandbrandi said...

I too covet that advent calendar, but that thing is a beast! I'm not that ambitious either! And those pompoms are so easy, don't worry there!

Ashley C. said...

love, love, love that wreath.

i used to think i was crafty. and then i realized i just am too darn tired to be crafty. maybe in like ten years i will be crafty again. you should be my neighbor then and we can craft together.

maybe brandi will move in too and she can give us crafting tutorials. that would be lovely.

Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and wanted to take a moment of your time to inquire about any guest posting opportunities that you may have on your blog. I've written an informational and educational article on the importance of early childhood education that I believe your readers of It's Stella's World would be interested in.

Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Emily
epatterson@primroseschools.com