Saturday, July 25, 2009

A few months without a bad hair day....

A few weeks ago, Ali, Cindy* and I took a semi-spontaneous road trip from Farmington to Ephriam to visit Snow College. Ali met with a guidance counselor about her first semester schedule, Cindy paid a bill and I got to see campus and the cute apartment complex where Ali will be living. Before leaving we stopped to take a few pictures. As Cindy handed the camera off to me to join Ali by the flowers, she ran her fingers through her hair and looked down at all the stands left behind in her hand. We were in good humor about it (check out the picture) but it was still surprising. I thought her hair was safe through a few more rounds of treatment.

After Quarter Pounders and a visit to Grandma, we arrived home. As we chatted around the counter, deciding if we were too tired to play Rook, Cindy plucked strands of hair off her clothing. After looking over the pile she had gathered in a baseball cap, she announced, “I think we better shave it tonight” and then after a short pause she added, “But it has to be fun.” Not only was Cindy taking her hair before chemo slowly crept in to claim it, she wanted to have a good time doing it.

Ali skillfully cropped one side, while I worked on the other. We left a 3-inch strip down the center for a mohawk. If someone had asked you in December whether Cindy Gardner would ever have a mohawk, what would you have said? I’m pretty sure I would have laughed out loud and I certainly wouldn’t have thought she’d look so dang good with a punk ‘do! Reed decided to shave his head to match. Using Deven’s fancy clippers, Cindy replaced the cul-do-sac do with a new Bruce Willis look (which I think is quite flattering).
Cindy kept a few locks for sentiment (and color samples) and Deven buzzed the rest. We laughed because it was fun. We cried because we were saying goodbye to Cindy’s beautiful hair, and also because we were acknowledging that it was the cancer’s fault it was gone. We all know Cindy is beautiful. In a stunning, radiant kind of way. I didn’t realize it had nothing to do with her hair.

Courage. Amen! That’s Cindy! As this battle continues, I’m sure Cindy will show this courage again and when she isn’t up for it, we’ll all try to be courageous for her. Though I doubt it will come quite as naturally to most of us.


*I’m calling Mom, “Cindy” to stick with blog format.

**We’re hoping Cindy gets to keep her eyelashes. That seems cosmically fair.

***This was meant to be posted on Cindy's blog (lovingly updated by Libby) and will be there shortly

11 comments:

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Cindy with a mohawk is undoubtedly the coolest thing I've ever seen on this blog.

Hendu

Marci + Dan said...

She is beautiful. Sending good thoughts her way.

Melissa said...

She sure is beautiful with a mohawk. That is such a sweet blog- it reminds me of when we shaved Natalie's head. :(

Amber Henrie said...

Glad you can be there to make special memories. Sounds like there is a lot of love and humor...which I wouldn't expect to hear it any other way.

Rebecca Smylie said...

She is so beautiful. I love that Jason's dad joined in the fun too. Much love to his family-

Tami said...

You said it. Cindy is beautiful in a stunning, radiant way and it has nothing to do with her hair.
I'm so glad you were able to be with her. I know you are a source of joy and light through this time.

Gardner's Compost said...

We must always cherish those true "bonding" moments. Thanks Erica - love you.
Mom

Oliver said...

We wish her (and your family) the best; but, man, did she rock that mohawk or what?!

Oliver & Margy said...

This is so beautifully expressed. We love you guys!

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing, my mom went through the exact same thing about a year and a half ago. Reliving the head shaving party through your post brought back a lot of memories! The whole experience was so scary and hard but she pulled through and now she's cancer free! I wish your mom and your family all the best! It helps to have a great attitude and from the looks of these pictures, she's got it!

RETTJ16 said...

Even with the hair gone...she still looks amazing!! We love you Cindy! If you ever need a good laugh...Rett is here for your enjoyment! :)