Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"There are no ugly flowers."

When I read that in Martha Stewart's Living, I was skeptical. Hadn't the woman ever seen a carnation? Then I flipped the page and saw these stunning purple carnations packed tightly together and my mind was changed.
This weekend I was making floral arrangements for a Harlem 1st Ward wedding. The design team (my sisters) and I got up with the sun and headed down to 28th st. (aka-the flower district). We tromped in and out of several stores, Angelique being thoughtful and supportive through her sleepiness and Noelle with great color suggestions and an inclination to cuddle the mice-catcher cats in the establishments.

After a couple price inquiries, Noelle turned to a huge shelf of brightly colored carnations and gently suggested incorporating some. An "ah-ha" moment! I muttered the mantra, "No ugly flowers" and we realized we read the same article. Angelique suggested mixing them with red roses. We found some accents and were on our way.

"It's actually quite easy to transform inexpensive flowers into truly spectacular arrangements. It just requires a little rearranging, not to mention a willingness to defy convention." Here's a sample of the finished product. I'm a carnation convert.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm a convert now, too! Great job! I always thought carnations were the ugly red-headed stepsister of the flower world. Maybe b/c they always gave them out on Mother's Day at church...

Sunny said...

Since I didn't tell you on Saturday, this is a near-perfect opportunity for me to tell you that you really did a super job with the flowers at the wedding. You're hired for Harper's wedding.

Marci + Dan said...

GORGEOUS!! I actually turned onto carnations when we moved here (I went to a Domino Magazine convention and saw lovely, little, inexpensive, carnation bundles). Plus...carnations are nice on the nyc budget.

Truly, I'm so impressed.

RETTJ16 said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh! I loooove flowers and those are beautifulllllll!!!

auntie libby said...

did ya know...carnations were viewed in the middle ages as the flower of God. and rembrandt often included carnations in his paintings as a symbol of status and love and the flower chosen and delivered to over 500 mothers on the very first mother's day was the white carnation. they are the longest lasting flower, symbolic of endurance and deep love and purity. so...pooh pooh to all who have forgotten the lovely, good smelling, inexpensive carnation! you did a lovely job and gave the flower the honor it deserves!!!!

Dr. LaRisse Skene said...

nice to see you back. call me when you are in Utah.
LOVE YOUR GUTS!!!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Beautiful job! I am sad I missed them in person. What talent!

noelle regina said...

i swear i posted on this post DAYS ago.

1. the pics turned out great.
2. we only know that ONE of the cats i cuddled was a mouse catcher. all the others were just shop kitties.
3. lets head down to the flower market again sometime soon- before employment starts.

Sunny said...

Harper's never getting married.

Marc

sterlingandbrandi said...

I'm impressed. You should hang out with my father-in-law, he is also pretty good at flower-arranging, even if he doesn't have a soul. (and you do. I didn't want you to take that the wrong way. Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't translate well onto comments and posts.)

Rebecca Smylie said...

My gosh I didn't know you did th flowers and my gosh they are beautiful! If I had the choice between Jason hitting a hole in one at my wedding, or you doing the flowers...I'd pick the flowers. Levi on the other hand, would be so, so touched if Jason would consider...