Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympic nostalgia is back! Childhood memories of gathering in the family room to watch, and cheer, and gawk in amazement come rushing back each time I hear the slow, dramatic theme song or see Bob Costas' face. I love the images of China's countryside. I love the tear-jerking vignettes; stories of abandonment, life threatening illnesses, home countries in turmoil, and romances that defy the odds. I love the cheesy announcers, making claims like, “I knew he would have a record breaking time in this race when I saw him stretching this morning.” They might as well be shouting, "He's vaulting! He's vaulting!" Is two weeks going to be enough?


One think I missed was the transition from Speedo, to pants, to full body suit. I know those things are too tight to fall off but how low they ride when the tops are pulled down makes me uncomfortable! But I guess with the all time record for Olympic Golds and breaking world records every time you dive into a pool, Mr. Phelps can be an exhibitionist.

4 comments:

Ashley C. said...

i have yet to be uncomfortable... what exactly does that say about me? not sure. Maybe I will force myself to feel uncomfortable. however you look at it- i heart the olympics and i double heart olympic swimmers/waterpolo players! perhaps all those years around speedos desensitzed me forever....

RETTJ16 said...

Rett and I love the Olympics too! We usually stay up way too late watching...but how can you not? And I am going to have to agree with you on the swimming pant thing...sometimes they do shots/pictures of just the upper half and it makes you wonder if they are wearing any bottoms at all!:)
PS So glad you are back...we missed you!! (blogging)

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Glad to see you're blogging again. Yes I had given up but decided to give you one last peek. I also love, love, love the olympics and have been cheering everyone on rather loudly from my couch. I also am not sold on these new bathing suit things. I can never tell the guys from the girls!

Melissa and Trevor said...

Hi guys!!!!

Karen found our blog, not sure how but so glad she did! We have a blog now too! ours is dailydenham@blogspot.com
glad we can stay in touch better now!

Meliss and Trevor Denham