Saturday, February 16, 2008

Is that romantic or what?

Jason and I have a Valentine's tradition of dining at Wondee Siam, our favorite hole in the wall Thai restaurant. A low key celebration is both of our preference, nothing over the top or contrived. And we find our tradition romantic. This year in discussing our plans, Jason teased that he was going to get me a heart shaped box of chocolates, a dozen roses, and teddy bear holding a balloon. Ultimately we decided no gifts this time.

Thursday rolls around, I hide a few love notes around the apartment before I leave for work and shape a rice krispie treat into a heart. That evening Jason picks up Thai take- out (I had a terrible cold) and we settle into the couch to watch Once.

A wonderful, relaxing evening...and then Jason pauses the movie and instructs me to close my eyes for a surprise. A surprise gift?! For me, when we said no gifts?! I put out my hands and felt cool pastic, opening my eyes to behold a new bottle of...fish oil. That's right I got fish oil supplements for Valentines Day. And then one more caring guesture...Jason says to me, with a voice oozing love, "They even reduce fishy burps." It did say so right on the box and I did suffer from fishy burps with previous supplements.


A perfect Valentines Day.

16 comments:

Marci + Dan said...

ha ha - love the practical - and healthy - gifts.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

too funny. practical always has its place!

Sunny said...

Nothing says I love you like fish body oils. Nice.

Jenny H said...

Jason and Erica- so I've been doing the stalking thing for a while now with you guys, and just discovered the whole comment thing like last week when I created a blog. Anyway- you guys are hillarious and it's been fun seeing what your up to. I have to say though, I did get the walmart special DVD of "mr and mrs smith." for v-day. I think fish oil would've been better :) (PS- Jason, I saw your mom today while visiting the old ward for a second. She is cute.)
Jenny (payne) Howe

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Tyler and I also decided to do nothing fancy along with no gifts for V-Day. After he rolled out of class at 9 P.M. he had a card in his back pocket with a message in it that said, "Sweetie, sorry this card sucks. There were only three left at the gas station and this one was the least offensive." I thought it was funny and it's the thought that counts, right?

Kysha said...

I love it! I'm all about practical gifts. I think it stems from my sister and I begging my dad for ideas on Christmas gifts with his response, "We do need a new frying pan. I could use some new socks."

Marci + Dan said...

oh, and fishy burps when you haven't eaten any seafood? the worst.

Marci + Dan said...

for a variety of backgrounds for your blog, check out pyzam.com

john said...

Ashley, in an attempt to make me feel like a very old man, has been laying out pills for me to take each day and I must say, less fishy burps is an attractive plus well worth advertising. I wish whoever the maker of my cheap generic fish oil pills is would have considered it.

RETTJ16 said...

hmmm maybe i should get that for Rett...he always complains about the fishy burps!:)-jill

noelle regina said...

is it a coincidence that we have the same blog template?

glad you've put en end to fishy burps. do they have a pill that ends chinese food burps?

Jared said...

THat's really cute. And thoughtful.

Heidi Louise said...

I sure am coming to New York on the 7th of March and will be there until the 11th. It would be fun to see you and meet your wife.

Ashley C. said...

hey... come back. the blog world misses you... and i miss you.

Ashley C. said...

(not really that you are gone- just missing you guys and was hoping for a good fix by reading your blog! Guess I could re-read old entries... like the bike ride one... sure love that one!)

Marci + Dan said...

Hey just saw that your sister was interviewed for newsweek.