Tuesday, December 06, 2011

What Kind Of Mother Were You Going To Be?

Before Stella, I talked up what a minimalist mother I was going to be.  Who needs piles of toys?  My kids were going to collect sticks and play with spatulas and rolling pins.  If you want to get them gifts, books only please. 
But a swing is great for a fussy baby and a bouncer helps too.  Before long sitting in a Bumbo provides a different way to see the world.  Then all those excellent mothers I know swore by different baby products.  Then there was that steal on Craigslist and something we couldn't  pass up on the street ("Are they really throwing away that Hotwheels jeep?") and the gifts. 
And before I knew it we accumulated a lot of stuff.  Guess we'll just make a small fortune reselling it after our baby years are behind us. 

4 comments:

Brad and Danielle said...

Every mom is the perfect mom... until we have a child of our own. :) Oh how I thought I was going to be so good about not letting my kids watch too much TV or exposing them to video games too early so they get hooked. But on days that I'm so tired, toy story 5 times in a row is fine by me. And when Brad is playing video games in our basement and I need a break, "Hey Connor, wanna go watch daddy play?" (which he absolutely loves and even gets his own controller).

We all have our many opinions on child rearing until we have children ourselves. And then sometimes whatever gets us through the day goes. We all turned out fine, I'm sure our kids will too. :)

Oliver & Margy said...

You are an awesome mom, Erica. You're way up there on the list of moms I hope to be like.

Emily Kate said...

I was just talking to a friend about this today! I was going to be such a minimalist parent! Somehow that didn't pan out.

PS send me your address so I can send your christmas card!

Kori and Brad said...

Just have to come out and say how much I love reading your blog! It's so incredibly entertaining. This post especially hit home, so I decided to force myself out of the woodwork and let you know! Tell Jason I say hi!